- "Do not condemn people on the basis of their ethnicity or color.
- "Do not ever use people as private property.
- "Despise those who use violence or the threat of it in sexual relations.
- "Hide your face and weep if you dare to harm a child.
- "Do not condemn people for their inborn [sexual] nature.
- "Be aware that you too are an animal and dependent on the web of nature, and think and act accordingly.
- "Do not imagine that you can escape judgment if you rob people with a false prospectus rather than with a knife.
- "Turn off that fucking cell phone—you have no idea how unimportant your call is to us.
- "Denounce all jihadists and crusaders for what they are: psychopathic criminals with ugly delusions.
- "Be willing to renounce any god or any religion if any holy commandments should contradict any of the above.
Sunday, March 07, 2010
Christopher Hitchens proposes new commandments
In Vanity Fair, Christopher Hitchens considers -- and finds fault in -- a version of the Biblical commandments. Not one to tear down without suggesting we prepare to rebuild soon thereafter, he concludes his column with an attractive alternative draft:
Posted by CivilizeMe at 7:24 PM