Monday, June 18, 2012

Why I Am An Atheist #10: Janet

Boston Atheists member Janet writes:

After twelve years of Catholic grammar school and four years of Catholic high school, not to mention a mother who was a converted Catholic which is just about as bad as being a born again Christian, I pretty much had enough of the religious scene.However, when I was diagnosed with the last stages of multiple myeloma and failed kidneys too boot, I started praying and reading the bible, but by then I knew nothing was going to save me. I took a leap of faith, but this time in myself, and decided I was going to treat my cancer the same way I had my businesses... that put me on the road to do whatever it took to get the job of saving my own life to me. It worked, I found a research team and they had a solution. Thus my experimental operation at the MGH which saved my life. But that still wasn’t exactly my “ahh..ha” moment to becoming an atheist. After I got back on my feet and instead of starting another business I went back to school and took courses in Geology, Anthropology, Archeology, Greek Mythology, Art History, Ancient Architecture, and Religion and Myths. By the time I got through all those courses I had taken, I was a full-fledged atheist. Only this time it wasn’t just because of my disappointment in my catholic religion and god, but more from my new-found knowledge.

*

This post is part of a series, in which members of the Boston secular community explain how they came to the decision to identify as atheists. To read more posts in the series, click here. To submit your own story, email bostonatheists@gmail.com.