Monday, June 11, 2012

Why I Am An Atheist #5: Angie

Boston Atheists member Angie writes:

As a kid my family never discussed religion one way or the other.

I was puppy-dog in love and married at 23, my new husband decided to be ‘born again’ guy, I diligently read the bible every day to be a good little wife-y. The things I read brought me to tears, how could this be any god of mine??

The marriage broke up, I was a free woman at 26, dabbled in Wicca as a stepping stone. Then soon realized that even though a kinder and less misogynistic religion, I was still putting on an act, playing dungeons and dragons, the cleansing rituals involving incense and candles went nicely with my Ren Faire costumes however.

Coming out atheist was just a matter of not pretending anymore. A matter of growing up.

*

This post is part of a series, in which members of the Boston secular community explain how they came to the decision to identify as atheists. To read more posts in the series, click here. To submit your own story, email bostonatheists@gmail.com.