Thursday, June 28, 2012

Why I Am An Atheist #18: Toni

Boston Atheists member Toni writes:

I was brought up in an Agnostic family and this story rings very familiar to me.  My friends (mostly Mormon) told me about heaven, god, etc., and why I wasn’t going there.  When I told my parents, they were angry but my Dad said, “Your friends believe that all that stuff exists, I do not.  You can choose what you believe, but please do some research”.  Since I saw no more evidence for god as I did against god, I did not believe in a creator nor a place in the clouds, and soon, I became far too old to be proselytized.  I believe that must start very early or the human brain will have difficulty grasping the fairy tale.

*

This post is part of a series, in which members of the Boston secular community explain how they came to the decision to identify as atheists. To read more posts in the series, click here. To submit your own story, email bostonatheists@gmail.com.