Friday, June 22, 2012

Why I Am An Atheist #14: Reginah

Boston Atheists member Reginah writes:

Ironically, I became an atheist when i was searching for a way to be closer to god.
I was born into a staunch catholic family, went to catholic schools etc. But that wasn't enough, I felt that something was missing. I didn't feel close to god. Around age thirteen, I became a born again christian which made me feel like I had found what I was looking for, for a while but so many a lot of things didn't make sense about god and religion. I was in limbo for a while...

But then i took a philosophy class and I became a full-fledged atheist. And the funny thing is, I had never felt freer or happier until the realization that there is no god.

*

This post is part of a series, in which members of the Boston secular community explain how they came to the decision to identify as atheists. To read more posts in the series, click here. To submit your own story, email bostonatheists@gmail.com.