Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why I Am An Atheist #12: Vladimir

Boston Atheists member Vladimir writes:

I call myself an atheist, but deep down I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster looking out for me. I just don’t have enough guts to come out of the closet yet. Hope you don’t mind a sincere Pastafarian around. Seriously, I think my lifelong interest in philosophy helped me to wake up. Books by Dawkins, Hitchens and Sam Harris helped me to shed any remaining doubts I had regarding religion. It was a difficult process to brake away from fanatical conservative church/circle of friends, because my family was also part of it. But by His Noodly Grace we are now more or less an atheist/agnostic family.

*

This post is part of a series, in which members of the Boston secular community explain how they came to the decision to identify as atheists. To read more posts in the series, click here. To submit your own story, email bostonatheists@gmail.com.